«Previous    Next»
New-Style Grain Cleaner Has 50% More Capacity
Counter rotating drums are the key feature of a new-style grain cleaner from David Manufacturing, Mason City, Iowa.
"Gives us 50% more capacity for trash and fines in the same size machine. By counter-rotating, both drums are able to turn at their optimum speed rather than at a compromise speed between the two," he points out.
David's old-style grain cleaner featured two concentric, screened drums turning in the same direction, with a 6-in. gap between them. Bartz says that if that gap fills up at the spot where fines drop through from the center drum, the machine essentially stops cleaning.
The new cleaner looks the same but the drums turn in opposite directions so there's more space between the two for trash to drop, thus increasing cleaning capacity.
"Besides speed, we also get 15% more fines and trash out of the grain;" says Bartz.
Screens are available for virtually any type grains. Bartz says the cleaner also cleans corn kernels out of soybeans with about 60% efficiency. The other 40% of the corn kernels are too nearly the size of the beans to separate.
Sealed bearings have been replaced with oil treated wooden bearings that never need to be lubricated. Bartz says wooden bearings last longer than metal and work better. "When dust, dirt and fines get into wooden bearings, they actually act like a lubricant, yet they'll ruin a sealed bearing," he points out.
Thanks to the new drum design, David Manufacturing has been able to replace its popular 548 model, which had a 48-in. drum, with a new model 44. It has a smaller 44-in. drum, yet has the same speed and capacity about 2250 bu. per hour in 15% moisture corn.
The 44 features an 8-in., 11 ft. long feed-in auger with a totally enclosed motor that swings in a full half circle.
A single 1-hp. motor powers both drums.
The new cleaner also features a bubble leveler to level it on any contour ground, using a front leveling jack. "It's a simple innovation that eliminates a lot of guesswork and trouble we've had in the past," says Bartz. All models are mounted on trailers rigged for road transport.
A new, larger model with a 54-in. outside drum features a 10-in. fill auger, along with a 4-in. trash auger used to load trash and fines off the ground into wagons or trucks. It's rated at 3000 bu. per hour.
For more information, contact: FARM SHOW Followup, David Manufacturing Co., 1600 12th Street N.E., Mason City, Iowa 50401(ph 515 423-6182).

  Click here to download page story appeared in.

  Click here to read entire issue

To read the rest of this story, download this issue below or click here to register with your account number.
Order the Issue Containing This Story
1979 - Volume #3, Issue #6