«Previous    Next»
They're Turning Leaves Into Logs
A British company compresses fallen leaves into logs that burn like wood. The patented product began commercial production in January, and owners of the company hope to expand with worldwide dealerships, including the U.S. and Canada, by 2009.
  Peter Morrison, an engineer and inventor, came up with the concept to compress 70 percent leaves and 30 percent wax into 3-lb. logs that burn for more than two hours.
  "Leaves are collected from street cleaning and open spaces where they have naturally fallen or been diverted, in partnership with local authorities, private companies and residents," says Sharon Warmington, operations director and co-owner of BioFuels International Ltd., which manages Leaf Log. She adds that leaves can be moist or dry, and that since it takes them two years to decay they're available year round for processing.
  "Although our volume sales are for the winter market, Leaf Log is also suitable for outdoor leisure including camping and garden fires," Warmington notes.
  The logs light easily by setting fire to the outer wrapping. They can be burned in stoves, fireplaces and open fires, and there is no noticeable smoke or aroma. Leaf logs are sold in boxes of 10 for about $40. Leaf Logs can be ordered through the company's website.
  Interested distributors are invited to contact Warmington for more information.
  Contact: FARM SHOW Followup, BioFuels International Ltd, Unit 19, Boulton Industrial Estate, Icknield Street, Birmingham, United Kingdom B18 5AU (ph 011 44 (0) 800 085 1744; info@leaflog.com; www.leaflog.com).

  Click here to download page story appeared in.

  Click here to read entire issue

To read the rest of this story, download this issue below or click here to register with your account number.
Order the Issue Containing This Story
2008 - Volume #32, Issue #4