«Previous    Next»
Turn Your Pickup Into A Convertible
The convertible automobile is back. Even though manufacture of this popular style car ended in 1976, you can still own one.
The convertible is actually a conversion of a small pickup truck. The cab is cut off and replaced with a new convertible top that folds back behind the seat. They call it a Ragtime Mini.
"It makes a sharp little car that looks like some of the old convertibles," says Cal Brooks, manager of the plant that does the conversion. "The convertible tops are manufactured by a California company, and we have the franchise to put them on trucks."
The tops can be selected from a choice of black, white, blue or tan. They fit a variety of makes and models of mini-pickups. Chevrolet Luvs and Datsuns back to 1972 can be converted. Mazda, 1977 models, and 1979 Toyota and Arrow models can also be converted.
The convertible tops sell for $795, including installation, if the truck is brought in for the work. However, there is a doit-yourselfkit that sells for $595. Brooks says that a "handy" man can do it if he has a cutting torch to remove the cab. There is no welding required.
The regulations for roll-over protection in cars do not apply to trucks, Brooks says.
For more details, contact: FARM SHOW Followup, Little Schafer's, 133 Brown St., Evansdale, Iowa 50707 (ph 319 233-8127).

  Click here to download page story appeared in.

  Click here to read entire issue

To read the rest of this story, download this issue below or click here to register with your account number.
Order the Issue Containing This Story
1980 - Volume #4, Issue #1