«Previous    Next»
Converted A D6B Cat to a High Wheeler
I converted a D6B "Cat" to a "high wheeler" for about $1,750 in parts and welding rods. The conversion idea had been in my head for 20 years since the early Cats were built low to the ground which made them rough riding when rollers and rails became worn. The low sprockets were subjected to shocks, damaging bearings, bull gears and pinions. It was not until Caterpillar came out with a "high wheeler" that I decided to build my own version. My converted tractor has at least 5 to 6 teeth pulling on the tracks versus just 3 teeth as designed by Cat. The A-frames were lengthened and extra carrier rollers were installed. A box frame was constructed 31 in. long and 3 in. wide and 1 ft. high at the rear of the A-frames for the new position of the sprocket bracket. The underneath A-frame bracket and bearing were cut off and repositioned 1 ft. higher with plenty of gussets and bracing to take care of the extra strain. Three extra links were added to the track. The tractor now rides on 9 rollers on each side. The hydraulic cylinder mounting brackets on the C-frame of the dozer blade were extended to compensate for the amount the tractor was lifted. We've used the modified machine for over 100 hrs. with no problems. Visibility is greatly improved and it easily travels through boggy mud we would have avoided before: Dirt no longer builds up between the sprocket and rails when making 1800 turns and access to the under-side of the machine is greatly improved. (George D. Pemberton, Rt. 2, Box 186, Eldorado, Illinois 62930)


  Click here to download page story appeared in.



  Click here to read entire issue




To read the rest of this story, download this issue below or click here to register with your account number.
Order the Issue Containing This Story
1990 - Volume #14, Issue #1