2002 - Volume #26, Issue #3, Page #37[ Sample Stories From This Issue | List of All Stories In This Issue | Print this story | Read this issue]
Tank Locks Stop Theft Of Anhydrous Ammonia
Anhydrous ammonia is used in the manufacture of the illegal drug methamphetamine. The drug is highly addictive, so stealing has become a major problem in rural areas where anhydrous ammonia is stored.
Porter Bros. Tank Lock
This device fits over the valves and then locks. It's made from stainless steel and is difficult to torch, bend or cut with a saw. The stainless steel makes it easy for law enforcement officials to lift fingerprints.
Four different models are available depending on the size of the ammonia tank. Each model sells for $72 plus S&H.
Contact: FARM SHOW Followup, Porter Bros. Corporation, Box 609, 5801 Highway 2 East, Minot, N. Dak. 58702 (ph 800 827-1653 or 701 852-4441; fax 701 838-4328).
Dodge Tank Lock
The "Tanklock" is a metal box that fits over the valve cluster on top of a nurse tank. It measures 23 in. long, 11 in. wide, 9 in. high and weighs 22 lbs. Mounts inside the roll cage on top of the tank. The box is attached to a removable T-bar that attaches to the tank's valve stems. The bolt anchoring the box to the T-bar is hidden inside the box itself. Prying on it with a crowbar won't get you anywehre.
A circular lock that secures the box is shielded by a metal sleeve, making the device virtually impenetrable by a hacksaw or other implement. It's coated with a metal similar to a truck bed liner to protect against rusting.
According to the company, the unit will fit 90 percent of all nurse tanks. The remaining 10 percent can be accommodated with a different model.
Sells for $89 plus S&H. The lock sells for $31.95 plus S&H.
Contact: FARM SHOW Followup, Dodge Mfg. Division, Dodge Electronics, Inc., 1345 S.W. 42nd, Topeka, Kansas 66609 (ph 785 266-5100; fax 785 266-5222; Website: www.dodgeandco.com).
Click here to download page story appeared in.
Click here to read entire issue
To read the rest of this story, download this issue below or click here to register with your account number.